What is a water damage?
Any damage from water that can create the tiniest water spots on a surface to a disasters flood, consider to be a water damage.
Three major types of water damage
Water damage from clean water source, like pipes, appliances which involve clean water supply lines, sinks ect. There is no immediate threats to humans.
Water damage from containment water like toilet bowls with urine (no feces ), water discharge from dishwashers or washing machine. The water are contaminants with chemicals either biological or physical that can cause discomfort or sickness.
Water damage from grossly unsanitary water. Can come from sewage, ground surface water or standing water, Grey water that were not properly removed or remained for 48-72 hours, toilet back flows from beyond the toilet trap and more. This water are harmful they contain bacteria and fungi and can cause sever discomfort or sickness
According to their classification those water damage incidences need different methods and measures of restorations.
Water damage restoration might look simple; (like use of mop or wet vacuum) but those methods fails to consider the degree to which water had penetrate into structural cavities. If not treated properly on time you might come aware of the effect by noticing signs like: discoloration, splitting, warping, musty odor and mold growth. At that time the restoration process increases and the exposure to health problem increases as well
Mold can become a problem inside a home or business, it can originate from sudden pipe explosion or from chronic leaking. Even a warm humid moist air can cause this problem.
If you are experiencing a current water damage here are few first aid restoration tips
• First, locate the source of the problem
• Stop the source of water flow (if possible) to the area or if needed to the whole house/unite
• Disconnect any electricity to that supply that specific area and close by area as well (if possible)
• Remove as much excess water as you can using mop, wet/dry vacuum any other method
• Move furniture, cloth, beds, boxes, electronic device, area rugs, any wet upholstery cushions
• Dry and wipe as much as you can the water from surfaces
• Turn on the air conditioning on maximum dry, or the heater in winter, open windows and doors
• Place plastic or aluminum foil under the furniture’s legs to prevent discoloration
• Call the water restoration specialist, insurance adjustor and plumber.
Regular maintenance and awareness to prevent water damage
There are measurements that are well worth taking in order to prevent or reduce future water damage and restoration. Awareness and regular check ups are highly recommended and can save money, discomfort and even prevent some health issues.
• Some time before rain season, a roof check up is necessary. It is important to check the breaks, shingles, check for cracks and take proper action if needed. Water damage restoration at this area is minimal when you do it once a year
• Check up your windows and doors, weather striping, look carefully at the outside of your house. Look for any cracks, discoloration, inflated surfaces, humid surface. Water can leak slowly and stay in a cavity inside the structure, accumulate and eventually can cause damage.
• Take a proper action restore the damage and if needed act fast to clear any water damage done.
• Inside your home or office a regular awareness for water spots, discoloration on walls, ceiling, wood floor, any inflated surfaces, a moisture signs at the base of the toilet. Those signs can show the need for a water damage restoration action.
• A humid environment can cause a growth of fungi and mold. Be aware of any development of those in your house. Keep your house comfortably dry
Water damage restoration can be done to a certain degree by yourself. It is almost always advisable to consult a professional certified water damage restoration specialist
A certified technician has the knowledge and the equipment to identify, restore and can teach you how to prevent damages in the future.
Regardless of the speed of the occurrence WATER DAMAGE is a MAJOR contributor to LOSS PROPERTY
If you are experiencing water damage preserve your property and contact All Pro Today!